Simple Packing Tips!

Monday, June 27, 2016


To BE a world traveler, one must first learn the art of packing.  It truly is an art form since one cannot merely throw clothes in a suitcase and call it a day. It can however be learned. From much trial and error and with friends and family’s advice, I have obtained important packing knowledge that is essential to the art of packing.

#1: The Backpack.
My trusty and fashionable Vera Bradley backpack that has 2
great size compartments, plus a space to hold my laptop.
I’ve been traveling my whole life and instead of a simple purse I’ve always carried a backpack. They hold much more, are easier to travel with, and conveniently have many compartments. Mine also has a special place to hold my laptop which in airport security is very manageable to take in and out. In the front pocket I would have small items that are needed on hand like a pencil and pen, gum, hand sanitizer, tissues, chap stick, earphones, wallet, etc. In the main section I have items to keep me busy like books, important paperwork, a journal, snacks, etc. Additionally, if you have special valuables you’re traveling with like jewelry I keep them in my backpack because it’s with me at all times.

#2: Ziploc Bags.
For all your toiletry and bathroom essentials, use these outside moderation! For anything liquid a gallon size Ziploc bag is the way to go. When taking nail polish, I always double bag. This keeps all the items that could leak in a safe place that won’t ruin anything else in your suitcase. Plus it keeps everything organized.

#3: Rolling.
In order for clothes to fit, you must use the rolling technique. I’m talking about all your shirts, dresses, sweaters, and shorts. Roll them up instead of folding and you will have more space. For jeans and pants I tend to stack these in one place since they are heavy and take up room no matter what you do. If you are like me and love organization, keep specific clothes in garbage bags which you’ll be grateful for once you arrive as everything will be in place.

#4: 50 pounds over.
You know the airport drill, the suitcase can’t be more than 50 pounds otherwise it’s more expensive. If you think you’re going to go over you must accept your need for a second suitcase. This really isn’t bad because then you can place the heavy items equally in 2 suitcases and plus have more organization.

#5: Leave Room.
These are all my souvenirs after the 1st time I visited France
back in 2009. Believe me when I say you'll be bringing back
a LOT.
It is so important not to completely stuff your suitcase because when you’re abroad you will have souvenirs you will want to bring home. If you don’t want the responsibility and expense of a 3rd suitcase abroad, leave room for all those clothes and chocolate delicacies you want to return home with you. This is a classic mistake!





#6: Ribbon Identification.

My luggage with their tags that I can spot right away amongst
all the other black suitcases.
Place a colored ribbon that you like and is easily recognizable by you on all your luggage. This way there will be no hesitation for which bag is yours! Give yourself a break by taking this simple precaution.








Sincerely Yours,

Mikaela S.

No comments :

Post a Comment